Simple steps to creating a healthier planet
Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated on April 22, on which day events worldwide are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. It was first celebrated in 1970, and is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network and celebrated in more than 193 countries each year.
1. Use glass instead of plastic
> Take a glass mason jar with you when you travel. Fill this up vs plastic.
> Ask wait staff to use glass and to not add a straw to your drink orders.
> Use glass containers to store and head leftovers
2. Take reusable bags to store
>There are bags insulated for cold products and regular cloth bags. Reusing bags and not using plastic plays a huge impact on the environment
3. Use biodegradable garbage bags
>https://goo.gl/97SyEK (13 gallon – for large kitchen garbage can)
>https://goo.gl/7MQSM4 (8 gallon – for medium garbage can)
>https://goo.gl/nM52M8 (5 gallon – for small garbage can)
4. Get a compost bin and have fun!
>Alex and I started by making our own homemade compost bin a few years ago with a large dog food bin, tools and a charcoal filter. We Googled how to make the right compost environment and started our compost journey! This past year we have upgraded to a tumbler where you don’t have to rake the contents, you simply just spin it a few times/week until it is ready… This one is the easiest and my favorite! https://goo.gl/uDmEgV (Compost Tumbler bin)
5. Create a Garden
6. Shop local at Farmers Market events. Dubuque is so blessed to have multiple markets. Winter Market, Summer Market (Starts Saturday May 5th) and Millwork Night Market (once a month).
7. Recycle your electronics: Staples in Dubuque is a “E-Waste Recycling Facility”
8. Use dimmable switches to save on lights and of course, turn off lights and lower thermostat when you’re not in the area.
9. Use less chemicals: Switch to environmental friendly dish soaps, laundry detergents, hair care products, deodorant, toothpaste, cosmetics, cleaning supplies, fragrances, beeswax candles, essential oil diffusers…. Your health & the environment will thank you! >Epsom Salts, Vinegar, Baking Soda, Essential oils are all amazing and cheap ingredients to always have on hand for cleaning & beauty! >Coconut oil, Sesame Oil, Avocado Oil, Olive Oil are all amazing to have on hand for cooking and body care!
10. Grounding or ‘Earthing’: Take a walk outside barefoot with the soles of the feet connecting directly with the surface of the earth. In different studies, it has proved to promote better sleep, less muscle stiffness, elimination of chronic back or joint pain, feeling more rested upon rising in the morning, and improved general health. Some people also reported relief from respiratory issues, RA, hypertension, sleep apnea, hot flashes and PMS.